Today marks the 24th anniversary of World AIDS Day. Each one of us has the power to end the epidemic. Below are a few ways that you can educate yourselves while also contributing to the greater cause.
- Have you been tested in the past six months? If not, today is as good as day as any to go find out your status. Visit this site to find a testing location near you.
- Join Alicia Keys, presidential adviser Valerie Jarrett, and Congresswoman Barbara Lee for a Twitter chat about AIDS in America at noon ET TODAY.
- Tonight, MTV will air “I’m Positive,” a documentary that follows the daily lives of three young people who are living with HIV. The hour long special airs at 7p ET/6p CT. Young people between the ages of 13 and 24 make up 24 percent of new HIV infections in the US.
- Dance (Red) – Download this high-energy dance album produced by global DJ Tiesto. All proceeds from the sale of the album will be donated to the Global Fund.
- Starbucks – For every handcrafted beverage, Starbucks will donate five cents to The Global Fund. (It’s easy to scoff at five cents until you think about how many drinks Starbucks moves on a daily basis.)
- MAC Cosmetics – TODAY only, MAC will double the donation of your online Viva Glam purchase. View the collection here.
- Identify community organizations in your area that provide HIV services and/or resources and get involved. That can be doing anything from passing out condoms, volunteering at a health fair, or even answering the phones at a clinic.
How will you honor World AIDS Day today and moving forward?