Lately, I’ve been all about creating lists and mapping out my life. Things can get a little chaotic, and I like to make plans (even if I change them later or never get started on them). The other day, I was thinking of the various volunteer activities that I would like to do one of these days. So, that inspired me to create a “do gooder bucket list.” It may sound odd, but I think it’s a good idea! I’m still in the process of adding things, but here is where I’m at so far.
Before I kick the bucket, I hope to…
1. Help build a house with Habitat for Humanity in New Orleans
2. Volunteer at a Special Olympics competition
3. Complete the two-day Capital Challenge Walk for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society
4. Make care packages for our troops
5. Read to a group of children at a local children’s hospital
6. Run in a charity race (10K or longer)
7. Sing carols at a nursing home or hospital
8. Spend a week at an AIDS orphanage volunteering with the children and learning from the medical staff
9. Serve as a volunteer baby rocker and feeder for infants in the NICU.
10. Host an amazing conference for teen caregivers.
Some of these things are probably going to happen before others, but at least it’s a start. What service project would you like to complete before you kick the bucket?